***ATTENTION! The California Odyssey of the Mind scholarships are ONLY for Division III,
high school seniors that meet the application requirements. *****
California Odyssey of the Mind
Scholarship Application Form
California Odyssey of the Mind has created a scholarship program to recognize and reward students who have demonstrated creative problem-solving skills, outside the box thinking, dedication to the program and a desire to share their experiences with others. California Odyssey of the Mind is the non-profit organization that administers the competitions and Odyssey of the Mind program in California. We operate under the non-profit status of Creative Opportunities Unlimited (COU).
We believe that by supporting Odyssey students as they begin their college careers, we will develop new leaders for the program in the future. We invite participants to apply for this scholarship during their senior year of high school. The applicant must have been active on an Odyssey Team for at least three years and one of these years must have been in High School.
Three $500 scholarships will be awarded; The Bob and Judy Drogin Scholarship and the Gisèle Mae Holvik Scholarship and the Calomer Scholarship in association with California Odyssey of the Mind. In addition to these two scholarships the California Association sponsors the California Odyssey of the Mind Scholarship. By applying you will automatically be considered for all scholarships offered.
There are two ways to apply:
- Online – Follow the instructions below. Applying online allows all parts to submitted, transcript and letter of recommendation requests included, immediately online. Online is recommended.
- Paper Application – Print off the Calomer Scholarship Application 2017. All parts of the application will need to be mailed. All parts of the application, including transcript and letter of recommendation, must be received by March 1st to be considered.
How to apply online:
Have the following prepared:
A. Application. Completed online applications, including letter of recommendation and transcript, must be received on or before March 1st, 2017 to be considered.
B. Recommendation email address (Coach or Teacher). An email with a link will be sent to their address in order for them to submit a letter of recommendation. This letter can be from an Odyssey of the Mind Coach or teacher explaining why they feel you deserve the scholarship. Limit one page. Notify Coach or Teacher that an email will be sent for the recommendation to be entered online. Follow up is your responsibility.
D. School counselor’s email address. An email with a link will be sent to their address in order for them to submit a copy of your transcript. There is no specific grade requirement but we do want to know that you are dedicated to your schoolwork and that you are improving if you have been struggling. Notify Counselor that an email will be sent with instructions for the submission of a transcript. Follow up is your responsibility.
E. Essay. Write an essay and respond to the following questions. The essay should be no more than 500 words.
1) In your own words, what is Odyssey of the Mind?
2) How has Odyssey of the Mind changed you?
3) How do you continue to use the skills you learned in Odyssey of the Mind in your daily life?
4) How would you convince others to participate in Odyssey? Why?
F. Quick Response. Write a quick response to the following question. The quick response should be no more than 150 words.
1) If you could invent something that would make life easier for people, what would you invent and why?
G. Activities. Include a paragraph responding the following question. No more than 75 words.
1) What else would you like the scholarship review committee to know about you (e.g., activities, interests, passions, etc.)?
Scholarship awards may be applied toward the cost of obtaining an education at any university, college, community college or specialized school. Only applications that are completed, including transcript and recommendation, and received on/before March 1st, 2017 will be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS. Applicants must be in their senior year of a California high school and must have had at least 3 years experience on an Odyssey of the Mind team and one of these years must have been in high school. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university.